You have heard it a thousand times how important it is to drink plenty of water each and every day. If you want to lose weight, drink water. If you exercise, you need to drink water. If you want healthy skin, hair and nails you need to drink water. Did you know that 70% of you body is comprised of water and 90% of your brain is made of water?!
Drinking enough water every day to stay hydrated can seem overwhelming, but I wanted to share a few tips to help your drink more water during the day:
- Know how much water you should aim to drink per day: The rule is take your body weight and divide that by 2 to determine your targeted ounces per day (example: if your weight is 150 lbs / 2 = 75 ounces of water per day) That is a little over 2 liters a day!
- Now that you know what your water intake should be – keep track! There are tons of great free apps you can use to track your water intake available for iPhone and Android phones. I like to use a Contingo water bottle to keep track of my daily intake
- Drinking a glass of warm water with lemon first thing in the morning helps to kick-start your metabolism, detox your body, improves your skin and more!
- Drinking a glass of water before you consume a meal with help you feel more satisfied and eat less. A study from the Virginia Tech Department of Nutrition suggests that drinking two glasses of water before (not during) each meal can significantly increase weight loss. Not only that, but the water drinkers in the study continued to lose weight and keep it off.
- Add some pizzazz to your water by adding lemon, cucumber, mint, berries and more to give in a natural, refreshing flavor without all the caffeine and calories that soda and juice have.